About this site
This website was created to publicly record how many Members of Parliament sitting in the UK Parliament’s House of Commons are LGBT+.
The dataset shows Members of Parliament who are ‘out’ as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or with another minority sexual orientation or gender identity.
Members of Parliament are only included where it is clear that the individual has made an affirmative decision to reveal their identity publicly. This information has been collated from internet searches and publicly available information. Members of Parliament are only listed if a reliable source has been found to verify the individual’s identity. These sources might include media reporting or personal testimony.
Citations and references
This dataset has been used by journalists at the BBC, Sky News and Quartz, and cited in academic publications.
- BBC News, 11 June 2017, Election results 2017: The most diverse Parliament yet
- BBC News, 17 December 2019, Election 2019: Britain’s most diverse Parliament
- Sky News, 16 December 2019, General election: 2019 heralds the most diverse parliament for gender and ethnicity
- Quartz, 17 December 2019, The UK’s new parliament is its most diverse ever
- Hertner, I. (2021). Gender and British Politics in B. Jones, P. Norton, & I. Hertner (Eds.), Politics UK : 10th edition (10 ed., pp. 244-265). Routledge-Taylor Francis
Using this data
If you use this dataset, please reference it. The following is a suggested referencing style:
LGBT+ Members of Parliament (2021) ‘A dataset of MPs who define as LGBT+ in the UK House of Commons’, electronic dataset, available at: https://mps.whoare.lgbt (Accessed: 11 October 2021)
The data contained in the dataset is made available through the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-SA 4.0) license.
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.
Under the following terms:
- Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
- ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original. No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
- No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
Who made this
This website was designed and built by John Peart. This blog post explains why the website and dataset were created.
The following people have helped to build this dataset: